Friday, October 10, 2008

Smell the Roses

I know there are a lot Martha Stewart watchers out there and I'm no exception. My head is full of projects I've seen and I'm going to do, but never get around to. I finally broke down and attempted to make the gorgeous coffee filter roses that Cassie Chappell created. It was actually very simple and even more rewarding. Tracing and cutting out the petals took the longest and was boring busy work. The first rose is the one I have pictured and it is not perfect. My outer petals are too long so they flop. But hey, roses aren't perfect in nature anyway. :)


SUPPLIES


The supplies were very affordable Less than a total of $10 to make more than I could ever want. 400 cone coffee filters from Costco for 3.75 (you need 8 for each rose) A pack 30 green wires for .88, A roll of the sticky/stretch floral tape for .88 both from Walmart. Rose colored Van Gogh water color paint for 2.75 at local craft store. The other things I had on hand include: pencil, scissors, paint brush, and bamboo skewer to roll the edges. I printed the templates from Martha (yes, we are first name:)).

It was a great project! I can't wait to try other colors ( maybe orchids). It was so much fun. My 14 year old niece, Morgan even made one. I think they will make perfect decorations for Emerson's 2nd birthday party in November. We should all take more time to stop and smell the roses, or in this case make roses!

10 comments:

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

I can't believe that! What a project! You have more patience than I do to cut out all the petals, but it looks like it was worth it...so pretty!
Carrie

Kristen said...

WOW! I thought that was a REAL rose!! How fun to make a bunch of those for a birthday party! Hmmm...Lauren doesn't turn 1 till February, maybe I should get going!

You did a great job!!
-Kris

Trina said...

Heather, those are gorgeous! I was just telling the girls today at the shower that this was my next attempt. I am very impressed with how yours came out!! Nice job :)

I'll be posting pics of the shower, hopefully on Monday.

CarolinaGirl said...

Look at you Miss Martha! I am impressed! Now get started on mine for Madi's b-day in November and just stick them in the mail with all 4 of my Granny dresses! Thanks!

Martha said...

I really thought it was a real rose. I'm so impress! Great job. If only I had the patience or time.
Martha

Monogramchick said...

WOW! I am in awe, that is beautiful and it looks so real!

Deb said...

Wow I thought it was real!

Just popped over from "half galic half garlic" your name caught my eye, my husband is a golfer too ;O)

Also seen that someone else fancys Starbucks Pumpkin Late....pretty yummy hey!

Jennifer said...

Wow, those are beautiful! I need to check out those for some party decorations. Were they easy??

KK said...

I just found your blog and love it! What beautiful roses! I just had the opportunity to go to a taping of the Martha show--it was awesome! Come see me over at pinkgreenandsouthern.blogspot.com

Engagement Rings Ireland said...

So pretty. From engagement rings